Favorite Things to Do in Washington DC
While DC's monuments are always a treat, there are a number of other activities off the beaten track that appeal to locals. Here's a short list:
- Take a trip to the Natural History Museum's Insect Zoo.
- Taste Food from North, South and Central America at the National Museum of the American Indian in the Mitsitam Cafe.
- Head to the National Zoo in Woodley Park and see the elephants, bears, giant salamanders, pandas and more.
- Discover Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street.
- Head to the Eastern Market on Capitol Hill for crafts, organic fruit and more.
- Drink a pint of beer at Hawk & Dove while mingling with Congressional staffers complaining about their famous bosses.
- Discover how money is made at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing
- Experience the world of James Bond at the International Spy Museum.
- Shop at one of the most popular women's boutiques in the city, at Nana in Mount Pleasant
- Enjoy the artists and engage in a chess game at Dupont Circle.
- Discover some of the best Ethiopian restaurants in the city, such as Etete on the U Street Corridor
- Head to the U.S. Naval Observatory and see the sky through the most powerful telescopes in the world.
- Discover one of the best happy hours in the city at the Capitol City Brewery.
- Explore the jungle and look at all types of flowers at the United States Botanic Garden.
These are just a few ideas for exploring and truly experiencing DC. And, if you want to really get to know the city, stop into a neighborhood pub and ask the bartender for his or her recommendations.